There are some days that leave us thinking, “man, we need a vacation.”
Today we encountered the following chain of events:
- We noticed a large pile of ants under our dining room table that found a few crumbs of food. Todd cleared them out and attempted to clean up some dust from an ant community in another piece of furniture that has excavated a darling home for themselves and their very extended family.
- Meanwhile I started the first batch of dishes left over from a gathering of friends last night and reminisced of the days of a dishwasher.
- During a bathroom break I discovered dirty water leaking on me from the ceiling. We pulled the exhaust fan housing from the ceiling and released dirt and water everywhere.
- After bathroom cleanup, I started a load of laundry to re-wash the sheets that were washed 2 days ago. The process of drying sheets (or anything else, really) on our drying rack takes about 48 hours because nothing ever dries in Myanmar humidity. By the time the sheets were dry, they were very very dirty from dust and touching other surfaces.
- I ventured into my closet to see if I wanted to add anything else to the laundry and realized that my clothes reek of mold, even though I made a point of washing *all* of them this past week to remove the mold smell.
- I went into the kitchen to heat up my cold coffee in the microwave and found that the power to the microwave and refrigerator was off due to low voltage. As suspected, the washing machine had also turned off. I’m starting to think these appliances are off more than they’re on.
During those events Todd and I turned to each other and said, “yeah, we could use a vacation.”
And it’s times like these that I have to remember
- I have food to attract ants.
- I have a ceiling that keeps me dry during monsoon season.
- I have clothes. In fact, they would probably smell less if I didn’t have so many crammed into my closet.
- I have a washing machine, microwave, refrigerator. And electricity.
- I *can* go on vacation if I want to.
I have it really good. And I will remember that as I now embark on the multi-day process of trying to enter this text into a box on our blog and post it for all you lovely readers. J